Sunday, May 4, 2014

A Deadly Bet by Jen Cousineau ~ Review by Juls

A Deadly Bet (Summers, #1)A Deadly Bet by Jen Cousineau
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Purchase Link:
http://amzn.to/1kMjOAV



**** I would like to say thank you to Jen Cousineau for offering an ARC to I Love Story Time for an honest review********


3.5 stars!!


I am torn when it comes to this book. There were things that I liked about the book and then there were things that really fustrated me.

In the beginning of the book I was a little thrown off guard. A major event takes place right from the start, then in the next few pages, it's as if it never happened. As if it wasn't important. I felt that it should have garnered a little more attention with it being such a dramatic event. Another thing that threw me off or just seemed kind of different was that Veronica had been away for 4 years. She left her previous life without even telling anyone. When she comes back into Chase's life after all that time, he starts calling her.. Baby right from the start. I don't know, but for some reason it just felt odd to me. I was like ...wait a minute!; who is this guy? It made me feel like I missed something because at that point in the story, you didn't really know who he was to her. He just calls her baby after not seeing her for 4 years and then their relationship proceeds as if nothing ever happened?

I did like Chase. Chase was so open-minded when it came to Veronica's situation and despite it,he loved Veronica with all his heart. Veronica tries to keep Chase at a distance to protect him, but Chase does not care...all he wants is to be with Veronica. After she left him, Chase was unable to move on. He felt like there was no life without her. So when she comes back into his life, he is willing fight to get her back and protect her.

I really wanted to fall in love with this book. After seeing all the teasers from this story, I was really looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately, I did not fall in love with it like I'd hoped. There were a few heartbreaking moments that were skimmed over so it didn't give me a chance to react to the situation. I felt those were the parts that could have pulled the reader in more and create a stronger emotional attachment to the characters. I really like the story line. I just needed more to be able to connect.

I am looking forward to reading Trey's story. I enjoyed his character and personality in this book so I would love to read what his story brings!!

~Juls


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment