Saturday, January 11, 2014

Review ~ Running On Empty by L.B. Simmons

Running On Empty (Mending Hearts, #1)Running On Empty by L.B. Simmons
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Purchase Link:  http://amzn.to/1kMPRhA



Alex had the perfect life. She had a beautiful and loving husband, three gorgeous little girls, and a successful career. Three years ago, she lost that life. Alex lost her husband, and she lost herself. Eventually, she found her way through the darkness. After coming to peace with her new life she has with her 3 girls, she is content.

But then one day, her best friend while growing up, walks back into her life. Alex finds herself stranded on the side of the road and here comes Blake pulling up on a motorcycle! At first their reunion is not all fun and games. Alex doesn't like the help of others and Blake still feels hurt from their past. But he still is there for her no matter what. Over time they make up and find themselves in the friendship they once had.


"I know, Alex. It just really hurt. You meant a lot to me. You were my best friend." He lets out a deep breath. "But you're right, that's the past. So consider it water under the bridge. I was always there for you, whether you wanted me to be or not, and I always will be."


Alex hurts her hand and needs help with everyday duties while dealing with her daughters. In steps Blake, and he spends the weekend with them. Blake and Alex's daughters get along really good. When he leaves after the weekend he tells the girls that they will start doing Sunday breakfast together a couple times a month.

After hanging out as friends, Alex starts to feel whole again. She realizes that Blake is the reason for this. However, she believes that she has already had love once and doesn't believe that she can have it again. Alex's friend Harlow believes different.


"Alex, you can have more then "one" happy ending. But, you'll never have your happy ending unless you're brave enough to open the book and start your story."


Blake also knows that his love for Alex has not changed. And he has no problem telling Alex his feelings for her.


"I love you, Alex. I loved you when we were just kids...and I've continued to love you every day since." All I can do was watch you with Derek. I hated myself for never saying anything. I should have fought harder for you. I won't let that happen again."


Alex isn't sure about moving on with her love life. She still feels like she needs permission from someone. She finds herself one day at a park talking to Derek. She is asking him if its okay to move on. I seriously started crying during her conversation with Derek and the response she gets.

This book was so funny because of Alex's daughters. They are too cute. I love how they are so sassy!! I love Blake! He is such a good man! And I totally understand Alex, and how hard it can be to move on from such a tragic loss. I can't even imagine having to go through all that. But who better to move on with, then with Blake. I just finished this book and I can not wait to read the others. Great read!!

My favorite part of the book? The famous quote...

"You look good, wearing my future."

5 Amazing Stars!!

~ Juls

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment