Friday, January 10, 2014

Review ~ Sempre by J.M. Darhower

Sempre (Forever, #1)Sempre by J.M. Darhower
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Buy link -> http://amzn.to/1eeFvVS





I heard so many things about this book, so I was looking forward to reading it. I really feel that this book had it all. I mean, it's about the Mafia so how can it not!!!

Carmine DeMarco comes from a wealthy Mafia Family. Gets anything he wants and doesn't have to answer to anyone. He's pretty much a cocky ass and doesn't care about anyone's feelings.

Haven Antonelli is a second-generation slave and grew up isolated in the middle of the desert, her days are filled with hard work and terrifying abuse.

They come across each other and Carmine is there to help Haven learn everything she has been missing. Carmine has never cared about anyone, and has never wanted to protect anyone until he met Haven.
However, they are totally opposite.

Carmine says what he wants when he wants. I love his attitude. He basically just says what is on his mind and definitely does not filter his thoughts. Total bad boy!! As for Haven, well coming from slavery she never speaks out of line. Half the time she can't believe some of the things that comes out of Carmine's mouth or the things that he does. Together, they fit perfectly.

I love the care free personality of Dominic, Carmine's older brother. He's so sweet and I just love the relationship he has with Haven.

And then there's Nicholas. Oh, Nicholas. Nicholas is Carmines ex-best friend. Carmine and Nicholas definitely have some history. Every time they come across each other they get in a fight. Honestly, I don't think its ever his fault. I love his jokes. Every time he comes across Haven he tells her jokes to try to get her to laugh. He's just too sweet. I definitely cried some tears over him.

Now for Vincent, Carmine's dad, I also had some moments when I cried for him as well. Then, I also wondered how he had so much patience while dealing with Carmine. There's some parts in the story that he visits his mom and she totally reminds me of Tony's mom from the TV show "The Sopranos". Listening to their conversations and him calling her "Ma" it reminded me so much of that show. Her attitude toward him and everything.

One thing about this book, if you know how to speak/read Italian you will love it! There are parts that Carmine will talk to Haven in Italian. Most of what is said is translated but not everything. So that was a nice change!

There were definitely some laugh out loud moments and full on crying moments with all characters. It contains love, violence and suspense. An all around great book. Can't wait to start Sempre Redemption.

Definitely a 5 star read!!

~Juls

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment