Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Past Imperfect Music!



Past Imperfect Music


Music plays a huge role in my writing process. In fact, I’m not sure I could write without it. I think up scenes and almost all my dialogue while listening to music. I can tell within the first few seconds of a song if it fits my current story. I add a ton of songs to my playlist, each represents a period of time in the story. Even though the playlist is not in order, you can see the progression of Past Imperfect in it.
                At the beginning of the playlist are more fun and light, club music. The songs towards the end of the playlist are more serious and darker. It’s not always the lyrics that strike me. Sometimes it’s the melody that evokes a feeling I want to express in a scene. “Poison and Wine” by The Civil Wars is one such song. It’s the feel of it more than the lyrics that influenced me. “I Said” by Michelle Featherstone was the total opposite. The lyrics to this song are spot on for being Brad and Mabry’s song. “Mercy” by Duffy to me is a sexy song and so I had to have Brad and Mabry dance to it.
                I ty not to use the same songs for different books, but at times they overlap. But certain songs like “Everything” I will never use on another playlist unless it’s a book that’s about Noah and tweet. Same is true of “I Said”, it will always be Brad and Mabry’s song.
                I thank my lucky stars every day for Spotify.

No comments:

Post a Comment